Saturday, August 21, 2010

Helping Out a Friend!

If you have been reading this blog post and want to know what you can do to help, I have a suggestion!!! I would really like your help.

There is a non-profit organization in Nicaragua called Beca.org. Beca means scholarship in Spanish. The organization provides scholarships to students in Nicaragua that prove themselves to be hardworking, but lack the financial means to acquire a technical or professional degree. I had the pleasure of being the teacher to various students on beca.org scholarships, and was very impressed by each of their commitments to learning and making a better life for themselves.

Beca.org works almost like Facebook, in that there are profiles of the students on scholarship available on the website and visitors are asked to make donations to a particular students school fees. While I worked with various students on scholarship, one of my students Linda Flores currently needs $400 to finish her second year of her tourism degree. I quickly became friends with Linda and her tourism class, and I spent a lot of time with them in and outside of class. She is dedicated to her studies and is working hard to learn English and other important skills to be successful in the tourism industry. She helped me immensely with my anti-litter project, by coming in voluntarily to help me paint, as well as drawing the difficult school logo on each of the large cans.







PLEASE take a second to donate to her scholarship here http://www.beca.org/sponsor-a-student/student-details/431/355/Linda%20.html

Watch her video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJzaRQ59qo

Every donation counts. After you donate, look around the website (it is very well done) and add it to your bookmarks so you will visit it in the future and continue to give hardworking students the ability to escape poverty.

THANK YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment